sunnuntai 18. tammikuuta 2015

Own research

Mapping, GPS, digital maps


I decided to familiarize myself with the idea of mapping the forest’s features, using GPS and making different kinds of maps during our trip to Taita hills.

   

Before the trip I tried to find some basic information on the web. What is the University of Helsinki mapping in the area? I was trying to find out any possible problems that this sort of research might face. I discovered that the Taita research station investigates the forest’s capacity to gather moisture. They also research the land cover change with photos taken from the air with the help of an airplane.

 

In the Taita Research Station I tried to find out more about my topic. I learned the role of the GPS in making different sorts of maps and charts. Every one of us had to use GPS during one day and make some sort of map with the help of the data from the GPS and with the help of Pellikka’s student who is studying geoinformatics. We also visited several data collecting stations for measuring the moisture and other weather conditions. At first I was a bit doubtful: how is it possible to study the forest’s capability to gather moisture? However this was opened up to me through the visits to the weather stations. We also learned about the issues that this research faces. Vandalism is a serious problem. If these stations get in bad condition the scientists might lose a big amount of data and so on the research is being disrupted. Nonetheless this doesn’t affect making maps from the areas around Taita Hills for travellers use. Therefore many maps have been made from the Taita Hills surroundings.


Jyri Havukainen

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti